Saturday 3 January 2015

Janathon day 3: First Saturday of the Month run with my son

The intention for Janathon today was to take part in North Herts Road Runners' First Saturday of the Month 5K with my son. He's a good runner and has competed in several 1K and 2K events. His cross-country teacher at school has told him he needs to move up to 5K events now, so we thought we'd give today's race a go and see how he got on.

It rained all last night, so the course was very muddy when we arrived to register. I told my son we might only do one lap if it was too muddy to run safely. As it happened we did only do one lap, not only because of the mud but also because my son started to complain of pain in his shoulder and stomach. The shoulder pain I could've made him ignore but the stomach pain I could empathise with. We ran-walked one lap (2.7K, 1.7 miles) in 22:27, a bit slow but we can definitely improve during the year. I might not run the same 5K course though, it is too prone to muddiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment