Friday 30 August 2013

Prerace nerves

It's the Duck N Dash on Sunday, I'm starting to get very nervous. 400m swim (I don't like swimming) and a 6K run. Who would enter a multi-event race that involves an event they neither like nor are very able at? Only a crazy person, that's who. Or perhaps someone who likes to push herself outside her comfort zone? Slightly competitive? Loves a challenge? OK, those last ideas sound better.

When I signed up, there was a space on the form for "estimated swim time". The Ts & Cs said this time should be for a 50m swim. Getting mightily confused with distances (I usually swim in a 25m pool and I timed myself in a 50m pool), I submitted my 100m time (2:15). Then today I read on twitter that the times submitted should have been the full race distance time. Hasty email dispatched to race admin. I'm now "happily" residing in the 9:45 group. Phew. 

I'm panicking about the swim not because I can't swim (I can, I just don't enjoy it), it's the thought of possibly having to pass someone, or someone passing me. Or getting kicked in the face by someone swimming breaststroke. Or swallowing loads of water and struggling to catch my breath. 

Transition should be amusing more than anything. I'll be relieved because the swim is over. I'll be raring to get out running. I'll probably be in hysterics because I can't get my shoes on. Or I'll forget to put my shorts on. Like I did last time I practised transition. 

The run should be a piece of cake. I've run the course before. I can run 6K no problem. And I have no pressure to set a PB because I've never done this before. Whoop de woo!

Suddenly not that nervous anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment